Moldy Peanuts: Safe to boil?

by Jessica
(Columbia, South Carolina)

I got a bag of boiling peanuts at the grocery store and let them sit on the counter for a few days. By the time I went to boil them, many were moldy. Should I throw the whole bag out, or can I safely cook the ones that weren't moldy?

Comments for Moldy Peanuts: Safe to boil?

Click here to add your own comments

Oct 12, 2012
Mold on Peanuts
by: Bret

Jessica,
Throw them all out. Aspergillus flavus, and Aspergillus parasiticus can be present on peanuts. These 2 molds produce aflatoxin, which is toxic for humans and animals.

Green peanuts typically have between 35% and 50% kernel moisture content (KMC). Green peanuts should be stored in the refrigerator or freezer if you are not immediately boiling them.

The FDA regulates the acceptable food levels of aflatoxin to 20 parts per billion for human consumption.

According to the Agricultural Experiment Station/Auburn University paper (1977), "Aflatoxin Formation in Peanuts by Aspergillus Flavus",

"The A. flavus group of species is a normal constituent of the microflora in air and soil, and is found on or in living or dead plants and animals throughout the world. It has been found associated with peanut soils and peanuts wherever they are grown. Aspergillus flavus is an important storage fungus associated with the deterioration of wheat, corn, rice, barley, bran, flour, soybeans, and other seeds. It has also been reported as a pathogen of man and animals and as a plant pathogen" (p. 4).

"High mold counts were correlated more often with high initial moistures of peanut kernels than with any other factor. Mold counts were consistently high in peanuts placed in storage with kernel moisture contents 12 1/2 percent" (p. 6).

"Under tropical conditions, peanuts that were free of toxin at digging contained detectable toxin in 48 hours" (p. 8).

"The longer the crop was in the field before artificial drying, the greater was the amount of aflatoxin. Other field studies showed that contamination of kernels with aflatoxin occurred at least 5 to 6 days after lifting" (p. 8).

"It is difficult and probably arbitrary to separate the interrelationships of temperature and time from that of RH or moisture. Aspergillus flavus has cardinal growth temperatures as follows: minimum 6 to 8 C, optimum 36 to 38 C, and maximum 44 to 46 C. Minimal and maximal temperatures for growth are affected by moisture, oxygen concentration, availability of nutrients, and other factors" (p. 11).

"Limiting conditions that prevent aflatoxin production by the fungus were demonstrated to 83 percent relative humidity or lower (peanut KMC of 10 percent or lower) and temperatures of 12 C or lower and 41 C or higher" (p. 43).

"Harvesting at maturity with minimal damage to pods followed by rapid drying and storage in a low moisture environment will reduce aflatoxin development to a minimum. Cold air can be used to aerate farmers stock peanuts in storage. The use of refrigerated storage for shelled peanuts is common" (p. 44).

Jul 17, 2014
Mold on boiled peanuts
by: Anonymous

I boiled some peanuts, and the plug got kicked out, and mold formed on top. I skimmed it off, and reheated the nuts. Will it hurt them?


Aug 14, 2017
boiled peanuts
by: Anonymous

Is it safe to eat peanuts after u boiled them.

Jun 08, 2018
Don't let them go to waste
by: Mike Hunt

You can eat them if you wipe the mold off of each peanut with a clean rag. I had a five pound bag that went moldy and I wiped them all off. It took a few hours but it was worth the work because they were tasty. Like a fine wine I thought of the peanuts as being aged with a rich flavor.


Jun 11, 2018
Mold on peanuts is not removed by wiping them off
by: Boiled Peanut World

Mike,
Wiping off peanuts does not remove the mold that is growing inside the peanuts.

Contaminated, improperly stored peanuts may contain the molds Aspergillus flavus, and Aspergillus parasiticus which produce aflatoxin. Aflatoxin is a mycotoxin that causes liver cancer.

Why take the risk of liver damage to salvage a few dollars of moldy peanuts?

Throw out moldy peanuts. Don't eat them. They aren't worth the risk.

"Low dose consumption of aflatoxin-contaminated foodstuff causes chronic aflatoxicosis resulting in cancer, suppression of immunological responses, and other "slow" pathological conditions. The liver is the primary target organ by toxic and carcinogenic aflatoxins."

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Peanut Boiling Secrets.